What is your favorite part of your job as a school social worker?

• 19 Jun 2018 12:01 PM
    Message # 6321691
    Katie Berry (Administrator)

My favorite part of school social work is helping a student achieve their goal. It is empowering to watch a student positively progress and make improvements mentally and behaviorally! It is also very empowering when a student comes to you individually and says "Thank you". That is very few and far between but it shows, you made a connection with a student and they felt comfortable enough with you; you made an impact!

• 26 Jun 2018 3:03 PM
    Reply # 6344156 on 6321691
    Deleted user

One of the parts I love now, used to be the part I dreaded most when I started... working in a host setting. I had worked in child welfare and mental health before beginning working in a school setting. I was worried that differing goals and values between myself and teaching professionals may cause difficulty with communication and collaboration. I have found just the opposite.  The teachers often have different perspectives but are truly experts in fields I am not. Through good communication and open minds, we can really offer the best of education and social work services to each kid.

• 14 Jul 2018 12:59 PM
    Reply # 6381375 on 6321691
    Cheri Koochel (Administrator)

My favorite part was seeing the light bulb go on with students. Whether that light was knowing someone cared, that I would listen to them without judging them, when they understood they needed to make change and then they make the change. 

• 26 Jul 2018 4:49 PM
    Reply # 6400007 on 6321691
    Barb Meyer (Administrator)

I feel honored to be a school social worker.  One of my favorite parts of my job is spending time with those students who really need someone to spend time with them and help them develop their social emotional skills.  My lunch groups give me the opportunity to be with these students in a safe environment where they can share how their day is going and be with others to develop some of these skills and know that they are cared for and not judged.